Day two: Gettysburg. Devon & Ke'ala did OK. They might appreciate it more in a couple years. Pono & Kamalu really enjoyed Gettysburg.
For those that have not been to Gettysburg yet - This place with the rocks is known as the Devil's Den. It is AMAZING. There are stories of how soldiers hid there and a famous (staged) picture of a fallen soldier was taken here. We spent time in the den - The kids really enjoyed climbing on the rocks.
Our timing was impeccable - We were there on July 3. Last day of the anniversary of the battle. There were people dressed in battle clothes every where! Too bad we missed the reenactment.
This is the first time my step-kids got to see lighten-bugs. Ke'ala LOVED them. Pono was a little freaked out, and, I'm not sure Kamalu cared...
The 4th, we stayed at Mom's house & had a family get together. We visited, ate yummy food, played spud, had s'mores, watched fireworks. The kids also caught wild bunnies, climbed trees, got to experience bird poop - Ke'ala was climbing a tree in my Mom's back yard. She was doing pretty well. I didn't realize she was an experienced tree climber... She came down quickly crying, I thought that she had gotten hurt. Very quietly she told me: "A bird pooped on my arm" She was mortified & very embarrassed. It was hard to not laugh - so, not pictures of that. There was NO way she was going to let me. Besides, Ke'ala was really too upset to smile. and I don't think she wanted a digital reminder.


On Saturday we went to Jim Thorpe & got to go white water rafting on the Lehigh Gorge. It was a lot of fun. Nicole was the only one to fall out of the raft. Kamalu was quick to rescue her.
The next adventure was to Independence Hall & liberty Bell. John & his kids went for this outing alone. I stayed back and got some time with my Grama Shabbick. It was so good to get to see her. She is 86 (i think) and as lively as ever. I miss her so much!!
Ironically, the day that John & I spent apart was also our anniversary. John & I have been married for 4 years. We didn't spent the day together - but, he DID remember flowers!
Our last outing in Pennsylvania was Knoebels Amusement Park. Jeff, Wanda, Jazzy, CJ, Jonathon, Aunt Karen, Aunt Amy, Adam, Stefan, K'lisha, Faith, & Emily all came along. It was a fun day!!
This is the "North Pole" The Pole was completely frozen.
I LOVE this pic. This is on the Flume. The kids figured out where the camera was and they did the village people pose. The expressions on their faces says it all!
They also figured out where the camera was on the roller Coaster.
Nicole & Pono are Charlie's Angels.
Kamalu was caught off guard.
LOL
Nicole & Pono are Charlie's Angels.
Kamalu was caught off guard.
LOL
Emily, Faith, Devon & Ke'ala are on the roller Coaster.
Ke'ala is a total riot!
Our last day in Pa was spent again with family at Slumber Valley.
My mom's grand/step-grand kids that were there.
Pool time
Jeff & Wanda. They have been toghter for 12 + years. Wanda says she still gets butterflies when Jeff walks into the room. How very romantic.
My brother has an amazing family.
I am so proud of who he has become.
Love you Jeff!
Pool time
Jeff & Wanda. They have been toghter for 12 + years. Wanda says she still gets butterflies when Jeff walks into the room. How very romantic.My brother has an amazing family.
I am so proud of who he has become.
Love you Jeff!
Seriously - Everytime Mom & Fay are together, they are holding each other. It does a daughter's heart well to see her mommy so happy. Thank you Fay!!This is my cousin Jennifer's husband Tim. This was the first time we really got to spend time together. He is a great guy. I'm glad he was able to join us!!

It was sad to say good-byes to family. It really was a great visit. My step kids got to know more of their step-family. The got to experience Pa bugs & humidity. I think we are going to have to make this an annual trip!
Our last two days of vacation were to Palmyra, New York. Palmyra is where Joseph Smith lived with his family and where he received the Golden Plates which were buried in the Hill Cumorah. The Plates were translated into what we now as the Book Of Mormon.
First stop to Palmyra was Oakland, Pa - Previously "Harmony, Pa". Joseph & Emma left Palmyra and came to Harmony to escape persecution in NY. Harmony is where the majority of the book of Mormon was translated & where the preisthood was restored. Joseph & Oliver Cowdry baptised each other in the Susquehanna River - Just up the road from where I grew up.
On the road again. Kids & digital cameras - miles & miles of fun!!
I apologize for this picture. Just thought every one should get to experience an "Inside of Pono's mouth picture". We get at least ONE of these with each road trip. Silly Pono.
Once In Palmyra, we had lunch at our usual place. Mark's Pizzeria. YUMMY!
Beth & Ken rode motor cycle 7 hours to spend time with us in Palmyra. What a treat that was for us.
Of Course, It's not every day we get to see "Daddy Ken's" happy face.
or scary face.... you choose...
Hill Cumorah
Pono's face was like this the WHOLE night. This was one her favorite parts of the trip.
or scary face.... you choose...

Hill Cumorah
Pono's face was like this the WHOLE night. This was one her favorite parts of the trip. Nicole waited for Pono to return from the Sacred Grove before getting cast pictures. Here they are with the three wise men. this might be the only place they will get the chance to be around wise men.... Hope they appreciated it! 
And, Home again Home again to Beautiful Seattle. I missed my house. It's good to be home. I just wish my family was able to fit in my suitcase, I miss them all so much!!



























1 comment:
What a wicked fun trip you guys took. River rafting...wow! I'm totally jealous. Mom and Dad look good. He sent us a picture of him and Nicole during the pageant that made us laugh at the time. Glad you were able to head back east and take everyone with you. Did you charter your own flight or did it just feel that way?! :)
Love the look of the blog!! I've been reading your stuff on my reader for so long I have not idea how long ago you redesigned it, but I LOVE IT! Cute, cut.
Love you guys!
Post a Comment